Patient Flow StrategySM
Patient flow bottlenecks have a profound impact on a hospital's quality of care and financial performance.The Press Ganey Consulting team can help you with expert insights, hands-on experience and proprietary tools to help your hospital achieve sustainable improvements.
Common Problems Caused by Patient Flow Bottlenecks
Patient Flow Calculator
- ED overcrowding, diversions and boarding
- Lack of available ICU and Med/Surg beds, patient misplacement
- Bumped or delayed elective surgical cases, backups in the PACU
- Excessive ED and OR waiting times
- Overburdened nurses, high overtime, excessive nurse vacancy rate.
- Upset doctors, nurses, patients
: Estimate the potential benefits that Press Ganey can bring to your organization.
Expertise, Proprietary Tools and Experience
Our patient flow consultants have decades of hands-on operational and clinical experience. They work closely with hospital and physician leadership alike to build alignment – from the initial analysis all the way through to your organizations' operational and cultural change.
Through a combination of operations management tools such as queuing theory and simulation modeling, and the soft science of change management, we help your hospital optimize existing resources and achieve real results:
- Separating different patient flows that are competing for the same resources to optimize availability and usage.
- Smoothing artificial variability in patient flow in order to reduce peaks and valleys (to/from ED, OR, ICU, tele and routine units, cardiac cath) and improve ROI.
- Determining the optimal allocation of resources to meet current and future demand.
- Fully engaging physicians and nurses in patient flow improvements for improved quality, safety and efficiency.
What You Can Expect
Patient Waiting Times
- Waiting time for emergent/urgent surgeries down 25% to 50%
- Compliance rate with waiting time guidelines up to 90%+
- Bumped surgeries virtually eliminated
Patient Placement and Boarding
- Patient placement in clinically preferred routine/ICU unit up by 20%+
- ED and PACU boarding substantially reduced
- Ambulance diversions significantly reduced
Volume, Revenue and Cost
- Surgical throughput up 20% to 40%
- ED throughput up 5%+
- Percent of case hours done during prime time up by 20%+ (reduced overtime)
- Reduced patient length of stay
Quality and Satisfaction
- Fewer patient flow related medical errors
- Enhanced patient, nurse, physician and staff satisfaction
Your Potential Benefits Estimate the potential benefits
that a Patient Flow Strategy engagement can bring to your organization.