Research collaborative brings together thought leaders to understand and act upon the patient voice.
October 15, 2013 (South Bend, Ind.) – Press Ganey announced today the launch of the new Institute for Innovation, an independent, nonprofit research collaborative. Comprised of leading clinicians, researchers and executives in health care, the Institute will deliver research and findings to help the industry better understand the patient experience and advance the science of improving patient care.
The Institute brings together prominent health care leaders from across the industry. The board includes Deirdre Mylod, PhD, executive director of the Institute; Thomas H. Lee, MD, Chief Medical Officer of Press Ganey; and James Merlino, MD, Chief Experience Officer of the Cleveland Clinic health system and founder and president of the Association for Patient Experience. The Institute is also guided by the leadership of its 21-member Founding Executive Council; members listed below. These thought leaders will set research priorities, direct projects and produce findings that address costs, improve efficiency and drive quality care.
“To improve the patient experience in a meaningful way that truly reduces suffering, we have to listen to the patient voice,” said Mylod. “By digging deeper into what patients are experiencing and their perspectives of the care they receive, we can turn that data into actionable insights that hospitals and health systems can use to make informed, effective and efficient improvements.”
The Institute’s initiatives include primary research integrating real-time national data, and collaborative studies to test and enhance strategies for optimizing patient care. The Institute's research framework focuses on identifying meaningful relationships among processes, practices and outcomes, including the integration of metrics across patient experience, organizational culture, clinical quality, safety and operational and financial indicators.
“Our goal in partnering with the Institute for Innovation is to improve the patient experience through evidence based research,” said Merlino. “In collaboration with the Association for Patient Experience, we have a forum that will allow health care organizations to access valuable information about how to use the patient voice to improve the care experience.”
The Institute currently has defined four research projects, focusing on:
- Efficacy of Best Practices
- Coordination of Care
- Key Drivers of Variation
- Shared Decision-Making
The Institute’s Founding Executive Council members are:
- Michael Bennick, MD, Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Connie C. Bonebrake, Carolinas Healthcare System
- Victor Buzachero, Scripps Health
- Devin Carty, MBA, Vanguard Health Systems
- Dennis Connors, MBA, North Shore-LIJ Health System
- Cathy Duquette, PhD, RN, Lifespan
- Gordon Hunt, MD, MBA, Sutter Health
- Gay Landstrom, MS, RN, Trinity Health
- Gregory Makoul, PhD, Saint Francis Care
- Andrew Masica, MD, MSCI, Baylor Health Care System
- James Merlino, MD, Cleveland Clinic
- Thomas Miller, MD, University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics
- Tamra Minnier, RN, MSN, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Jaclyn Mucaria, MPA, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- J. Thomas Rosenthal, MD, UCLA Health System
- Marci Sindell, MBA, Atrius Health
- Brian Smith, MHA, BEE, Rush University Medical Center
- Mary Anna Sullivan, MD, Lahey Clinic
- Barbara Summers, PhD, RN, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Thinh Tran, MD, Baptist Health South Florida
Learn more about the Institute for Innovation.
Institute for Innovation
The Institute for Innovation is a nonprofit research collaborative that provides a forum to better understand and act upon the patient voice to advance the science of improving patient care and reducing patient suffering. Through collaboration with health care executives and industry leaders, and with an unrelenting focus on the value of the patient voice, the Institute identifies the most critical elements of patient care that would benefit from improvement and evaluates solutions that have a positive impact on experiences and outcomes. For more information, visit www.theinstituteforinnovation.org.